22/01/2011

pic 1193 - 1194

The first post in 2011: started with pic 1193.

From Wikipedia:
Riga is the capital and largest city of Latvia, situated on the mouth of Daugava River. Riga's historical centre has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the city is particularly notable for its extensive Jugendstil (German Art Nouveau) architecture, which UNESCO considers to be unparalleled anywhere in the world.

I was in Riga some time in the beginning of January 2011 - alas, for work. However, I managed to squeeze some time for walk. Particularly sorry I had to miss taking pictures along the Jugendstil area, since it was dark when we had the tour, and was not sure which roads and paths to reach those buildings I would love to visit back within couple 1 hour slots I managed to grab in day time amongst work, work, and work. Anyway, I have to say I enjoyed those couple short walks, and here are some pictures I took.



Riga, January 2011: 1st post out of 20.

The two pictures here were taken from the same spot on the brink of the frozen Daugava River. The East represents the old, the west represent the new Riga. The tall new building is the main office of Swedbank called the Sun Stone, which one of the tallest buildings in Riga.

While taking pictures in Riga (and in Helsinki as well), I kept facing the challenges on capturing the beauty of the snow in contrast with the things around it. The snow just lost their textures, contours and colours, and just look flat and whitish. Thought about it before the trip, but didn't have time to really look into this. Bummer really.


No comments: